This D&D magic item really has bite! An arrow that turns into a venomous snake after it hits.
Weapon (arrow), rare
This arrow is made from a living venomous snake (Basic Rules, pg. 149), frozen straight. You have a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic arrow. Once it hits a target, the snake reanimates and makes a Bite attack.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 1 piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 10 Constitution saving throw, taking 5 (2d4) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
The venomous snake slithers away after making its Bite attack, but it will defend itself if attacked.
The gnome artificer / druid Geneu Tercer was famous for his unusual creations that turned nature into weapons. His killer bee bombs and venomous snake arrows once helped the people of Fardoth village defeat a clan of invading orcs.
You can choose which venomous snake is used for the magic arrow. Here are ten real life snakes with deadly venom.
- Saw-Scaled Viper (Echis Carinatus)
- King Cobra (Ophiophagus Hannah)
- Inland Taipan (Oxyuranus Microlepidotus)
- Blue Krait (Bungarus Candidus)
- Black Mamba (Dendroaspis Polylepis)
- Tiger Snake (Notechis Scutatus)
- Russell’s Vipers (Daboia Russelii)
- Common Death Adder (Acanthophis Antarcticus)
- Mojave Rattlesnake (Crotalus Scutulatus)
- Belcher’s Sea Snake (Hydrophis Belcheri)
Would you like to see more nature themed D&D magic items and spells? Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter and send us your suggestions!
Subscribe for more free homebrew content for Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition and One D&D.
- Magic Items
- Battle Maps
- Dungeon Master Resources
- and More!